Sunday, October 23, 2011

To Russia We Go...

Tomorrow at 5:30 pm Cory and I leave for Russia for 10 days. We will fly nonstop about 13 hours to Moscow followed by a 4 hour layover in Moscow, and then another hour and a half flight to Volgograd. When we get off the plane in Volgograd it will be late Tuesday afternoon there. Wednesday we will have an official meeting with Russia’s Department of Education. Sometime after that we will meet our son for the first time.
I can not even begin to explain how this feels, mostly because I haven’t even come to grips with it yet. I haven’t completely even reconciled this in my mind yet. I can’t explain how I have already come to love this little boy, and I know that it will only be worse when I actually hold him in my arms. How can I even explain how many people have stepped in along the way and helped Cory and I? So many friends, coworkers, and family members have helped us that my sense of community will never be the same. I feel like Jonah is the most loved baby in the world already.
After spending about a week in Volgograd we will fly back to Moscow for medical exams. We will stay two nights there and then fly back on Wednesday.
When we leave Russia, Jonah stays. This will be the hardest part. Where we leave our son at the orphanage and fly back to our quiet, comfy little lives. This is where I need you guys. I am pretty sure I am going to be a wreck.
We truly believe in the sovereignty of God. We believe that when he knit Cory and I together in our mother’s wombs he knew one day that we would be in this moment. We believe he knew that Jonah’s mom would be pregnant with him and give him to the orphanage and that he would one day be ours. I believe this is the same God that has been, and will continue to take care of my son. He was taking care of him long before I ever filled out the first piece of paper for this adoption. He was the one that put adoption on our heart, so I know that he is the one in control. He is also the one that I believe will comfort us and give us peace about this situation.
Our adoption agency is telling us that we could return to get Jonah as soon as December. We may have him home by Christmas! What a beautiful present that would be.

Ways you can be praying for our family:
Peace for Cory and I
Jonah to be comforted by meeting us, and not upset when we leave
Safety
Finances

We love you guys and hope to be able to update the blog while we are gone so check back soon!
Cory and Leah

5 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news! I am so happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, I am terrible about following blogs, but I saw your comment on fb and it led me here! I'm sooo happy for the two of you. And for that precious baby boy. I will be praying for you. I would LOVE to chat anytime. You may have someone to debrief with already, but I am definitely available. My cell is 214-392-2243. The gospel is glorious and it leads us to do crazy things. It is so good. You will be forever changed! I'm getting excited.
    Charity Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  3. take lots of pictues!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for the three of you. For some reason the Lord had me up in the wee hours of the morning praying about timing and bureaucracy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so excited for y'all! We are looking forward to meeting the little guy and welcoming him into our family. May God grant you every blessing - which is more than we can imagine - as you travel on this wonderful journey of adoption. We pray for good health for all three of you, for safe travel and for the Spirit of the LORD to be with you everywhere you go.
    Love you all,
    James and Jeanne

    ReplyDelete